Recipe: Healthy Ladybug Apple Treats
Why can’t snack time be craft time? Get your kids excited about good nutrition while keeping them busy with an after-school activity! Help slice the apples and then let them take over.
- 1 apple
- 1 TBS Lemon Juice (optional)
- 2 TBS Raisins
- 1 ½ TSP Peanut Butter
- 2 thin Pretzel Sticks
- Slice the apples in half from top to bottom and scoop out the core using a knife or spoon. Slice ½ inch off flat end of each half and then slice the remaining larger pieces in half. You should have 2 apple slices and 4 quarters.
- Put the apple pieces in a bowl or baggie with lemon juice and coat the cut side to prevent browning. If your kids don’t like the lemon juice, feel free to skip this step.
- Lay apples slices down and top with the 2 quarter pieces as shown in picture. Dab with spots of peanut butter to form the ladybug spots. Attach raisins to the peanut butter spots.
- Push a raisin into the end of each pretzel stick and push the other end into the apple to for antennae.
Written by: Julie Kuehn RD,LD ACE CPT
Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer