Recipe: Healthy Whole Wheat Pizza
Pizza is a great way to get kids involved in cooking. You can split the dough into portions, and everyone can make their own individual pizza. Put out healthy toppings, including veggies to encourage healthy choices for a one dish meal.
- 1 (.25 ounce) Package Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Wheat Germ
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1 TBP Honey
- 1 jar Pizza Sauce
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Any toppings you like: Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, Olives, Sliced Tomatoes, Artichokes, etc
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand for 10 minutes. It will get foamy.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add the honey and the yeast water.
- Stir well and let it sit in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough onto a floured pan (corn meal also works well to prevent sticking) and poke a few holes into it with a fork.
- Let rise again (optional) for a thicker crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Increase oven to 425 degrees. Cover crust with pizza sauce, then cheese and then your desired toppings.
- Bake in oven 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
Written by: Julie Kuehn RD,LD ACE CPT
Registered Dietitian and Personal Trainer