Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot Registration Opens 8/1/2020
UPDATED 10/9/2020: Due to ongoing concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot will be a virtual event. Click here to learn more.
Participants who registered before October 7 will receive additional information via email very soon.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas is pleased to announce our plans to move forward with the 2020 Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot. While some components of the event will be different, we look forward to keeping the Thanksgiving Day tradition that has been enjoyed by generations.
We have made a number of changes to Trot 2020 to keep our participants, volunteers, and staff comfortable and safe on race day. We are following guidelines and best practices provided by the CDC, State of Texas, Dallas County, and the City of Dallas for outdoor run/walk events and will fully communicate any new protocols or restrictions with participants as they arise.
100% of proceeds from the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot benefit the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas. This year, the YMCA provided licensed emergency child care for the children of first responders, medical professionals, and other essential workers when the schools, gyms, and other businesses were closed. The YMCAs became food distribution sites, held blood drives, and provided support for seniors and other individuals in under-resourced areas of Dallas. The Trot has always been a fundraiser for the educational and community programs provided by the YMCA. Your participation in The Trot and donations to the YMCA help ensure we will always be here when we are needed the most.
Here's what to expect:
- The overall capacity of the in-person Turkey Trot will be limited to 10,000 registered participants
- There will not be registration on race day. Registration will occur online only through 12:00 noon on Wednesday, November 25 or until the capacity has been reached, whichever comes first. Bibs may be picked up race day morning by anyone that pre-registered. T-shirts and other swag may not be available on race day, so we strongly encourage packets to be picked up in advance. Dates, times, and locations of packet pickup are to be determined.
- In 2020, there are three start times for participants to self-select during registration for the Timed or Untimed registration. 5K participants can choose to start their run/walk at 8:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m. or at 10:00 a.m. and 8-mile participants can choose to start at 8:00 a.m. or 9:00 a.m.
- There will be at least 3 staging areas for Timed and Untimed runners, walkers, strollers, and dogs that are available on a first come-first served basis to a combined maximum human capacity of 3000 participants for each start time.
- The corrals and staging areas will be marked for participants to physically distance at least 6' from participants not in the same household. Each 6’ marker should have no more than 1 adult and 2 kids or 2 adults from the same household. Groups/families with more people will be encouraged to spread their group to nearby 6’ distancing marks.
- Participants over the age of 2 years old will be required to wear face coverings or masks while in the staging areas/corrals, and can remove them once they have passed the start line and are able to physically distance themselves from other runners and walkers, approximately 1/2 mile or more onto the course.
- Water stops will still be available on the course with bottled water only. Participants will receive guidance closer to the event regarding the proper disposal of the container when it is empty.
- Individually packaged snacks will replace whole fruit at the finish lines. Participants are encouraged to bring their own preferred post-race refueling snack, fruit, or beverage.
- A virtual option is available for participants who may be unable to attend in person. This virtual option includes the Trot t-shirt and other participant swag that is to be determined.
- Hand-washing units will be added at every portable toilet bank at City Hall Plaza. Hand sanitizer will also be available at key areas around City Hall Plaza and at the portable toilets along the course routes.
- All volunteers, staff and sponsor representatives will be required to wear a face covering or mask.
- Participants over the age of 2 years old will be required to wear face coverings or masks when 6’ of physical distancing is difficult to maintain. For race day this means when moving to/from areas, while in the staging areas/corrals, using common areas, etc. Once a runner has passed the start line and they are able to physically distance themselves from other runners and walkers (approximately 1/2 mile or more onto the course), they may remove their mask if necessary.
- Volunteers, staff, sponsor representatives, and participants will physically distance themselves from others not in the same household.
- Participants will be asked to self-screen for health and close contact prior to the event day.
- Staff and volunteers will be temperature checked and health screened prior to beginning their work on race day.
- Other changes may be made with or without notice if required by new state or local guidelines or if deemed to be a positive change to promote the health and safety of our participants. Any additional changes will be communicated to participants when they occur.