What is Youth & Government?
YMCA Texas Youth & Government is a nationwide, youth led, civic engagement program for high school and middle school students. It is an exciting hands-on experience in the mechanics of government along with print and broadcast media. Students participate in their clubs, then compete at their local District Conference, culminating in a three day State Conference in Austin, TX. Students compete to be selected for the Conference on National Affairs and the National Judicial Competition.Texas Youth & Government
How do we participate in YG?
- Ask your local YMCA to do a presentation at your school
- Engage a dedicated adult advisor
- Begin a club with your local YMCA
- Prepare, practice and participate!
*Financial Assistance & Income Based Club fees are available
Why participate in YG?
- Understand of local, state, national & international issues
- Research, writing about and debating these public issues
- Exploration of careers in public service
- Interaction with adult and youth leaders involved in the decision-making processes
- An understanding of effective and peaceful resolution of issues and concerns, fostering diplomacy
- An appreciation for the diversity of viewpoints on public issues and a concurrent respect for ideas, beliefs and the positions of others, teaching empathy
- Demonstration of citizenship responsibilities and leadership roles essential to the health of a democracy
- A positive self-image and confidence necessary to succeed in post-secondary and the work place
- Promotion of values such as servant leadership, civic engagement, the voting process and volunteerism
For your students, YG also helps enhance academic and UIL performance, as well as already existing clubs such as Media, Debate and World Affairs, Mock Trial and more.
2017 YG Program Events:
1/21 - Duncanville YG Invitational
1/26 to 1/29 - HS YG State Conference, TX Capitol, Austin
2/18 - Regional MUN Summit, TX Women's University
2/24 - JYG Show Case
3/3 to 3/5 -JYG State Conference, TX Capitol, Austin
4/7 to 4/9 - TX MUN Assembly, Capital One Bldg, Plano
Summer 2017 - CONA & National Judicial Competition
$20 - Program Registration
$50 - District Conference Fee
$390 - High School State Conference Fee (Includes travel to and from Austin, hotel accomodations, conference fee, conference t-shirt, night time activities and banquet).
$340 - Middle School State Conference Fee (Includes travel to and from Austin, hotel accomodations, conference fee, conference t-shirt, night time activities and banquet).
$35 - Regional MUN Summit
$270 - TX MUN Assembly ($50 deposit required to pick your own country)