What is Youth & Government?
A nation-wide YMCA program in which students learn the mechanics of government and the media by participating in hands-on activities in their club at their school or local YMCA. Texas Youth & Government
How do we participate in YG?
- Ask your local YMCA to do a presentation at your school
- Engage a dedicated adult advisor
- Begin a club with your local YMCA
- Prepare, practice and participate!
*Financial Assistance & Income Based Club fees are available
Why participate in YG?
YG is a life-changing program.
Students gain the following from YG:
- Leadership and Public Speaking Skills
- Empathy and Diplomacy
- Stronger work ethic
- Value of voting and volunteering
- Organized decision making skills
- New friends and important life-long connections
- A better understanding of the workings of government
For your students, YG also helps enhance academic and UIL performance, as well as already existing clubs such as Media, Debate and World Affairs, Mock Trial and more.
YG Program Events:
Conference on National Affairs – Blue Ridge, North Carolina, June/July
Top 25 selected students in the state write about and debate national and international issues that are important to them with students from across the nation.
National Mock Trial Competition – Chicago, July
Top teams from State Conference are selected and compete against other teams from around the nation.