The YMCA has a clear, compelling and demonstrated commitment to keep kids safe in our programs. However, child abuse is a broader societal issue that requires education and vigilance of the entire community in our homes and neighborhoods too.
- Experts estimate that 1 in 10 children are sexually abused before their 18th birthday.
- 30% of children are abused by family members.
- As many as 60% are abused by people the family trusts.
- About 35% of victims are 11 years old or younger.
- Nearly 40% are abused by older or larger children.