DID YOU KNOW…
- Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death for children ages 1-4.
- Drowning is the second leading cause of accidental death for children under 14 years of age.
- Children under age one most often drown in a bath tub, toilet or bucket.
- Drowning is a silent event. Children will rarely scream, call out or splash for help.
- Submersion takes less than 10 seconds. Losing consciousness takes 2 minutes. Permanent brain damage takes only 4-6 minutes.
- For every child who dies by drowning, another four are hospitalized. Many never recover from brain damage that occurs while they are under water.
- Most young children who drown in pools were last seen inside the house, had been out of sight less than 5 minutes and were in the care of one or both parents at the time of the event.