Camp programs for the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas began in 1922 at Camp Crockett, located near Granbury. During World War II, Camp Crockett moved to Dallas on Bachman Lake at Camp Kiwanis. It was during the war that Eugene Constantin lost his only son in service to his nation and gave his land on Possum Kingdom Lake to the YMCA in honor of his son, and in 1949 the first summer of camp was held.
The camp was named for Mr. H. Grady Spruce, a well-loved YMCA Youth Secretary, who also served as the summer camp director at Camp Crockett. Mr. Spruce is still remembered for his mentorship of many boys, who have become leaders in business in the Dallas community.
In the late 1950s, the demand for boys camping at Camp Grady Spruce was increasing and in 1960 the Frontier Camp opened for teenage boys.
Girls began attending camp in the 1960s and would come at the end of summer after the boys had gone home. In 1973, the Ray Bean camp was established to serve girls during the summer and families during the remainder of the year. This camp was named after the executive director, who led the growth of Camp Grady Spruce for 35 years.
In 1983, the Frontier Camp became a co-ed camp program, with Main reserved for younger boys and Ray Bean for younger girls.
Outdoor Education became a program in the 1990s.
Today, Camp Grady Spruce operates nearly year-round and offers Summer Camp, Groups and Family Camp and Outdoor Education programs.
To deliver exceptional outdoor programs that inspire, build and strengthen relationships with God, His creation and each other.