What We Offer
Health & Wellness
- Fitness Assessment
- Personal Training
- Active Older Adults
- YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program
- LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
- Fit for Health
- Nutritional Coaching
- Adventure Guides
- After School Care
- Child Watch
- Community CPR
- Parent's Night Out
- Play N Learn
- Teen Programs
- Health & Wellness
- Give to the Y
- Become a Lifeguard
Become a Coach at The White Rock/Lake Highlands YMCA!
As a YMCA Volunteer Coach, you have the exciting opportunity to develop players in a positive way and become a mentor and leader for your team. Join us in making a difference in our community. Motivate and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health, smart life choices, and the pursuit of higher education and goals.
As a coach, you will be responsible for leading practices, games and communication with your team and the YMCA Sports Director. This is an 8-week commitment, one hour per week for practice and one hour per week for games.
- Coordinate with your team via email/phone calls about practices and locations.
- Attend coaches meeting before the season begins (be an active coach)
- Make sure you contact your team at least 1 week before the 1st practice
- Practice with your team one hour per week, teaching them rules of the game and basics of how to play
- Be a mentor to your kids, teaching them values of sportsmanship, leadership, teamwork and respect
- Attend weekend games for an 8-week season
- Play all kids an equal amount of time each game
- Hand out medals and awards (given out by YMCA) at appropriate time
- Turn a good experience into a great one, not only for the kids, but for the parents as well
- Communicate with the YMCA about issues, concerns, questions in a respectful manner
KEY SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Depending on the age level, one must have basic knowledge of the sport you are coaching or the eagerness to learn more.
Complete the YMCA volunteer coach registration process, which includes:
- Online Criminal Background Check- CBC (Dallas YMCA Volunteer Matters)
- Athlete Protection - AP
Online Criminal Background Check- CBC (Dallas YMCA Volunteer Matters) Instructions:
- Visit: https://ymcadallas.volunteermatters.org/project-catalog/391
- SCROLL down and click “Volunteer” for the sport and season you are coaching ie: 2023 Spring Flag Football
- Click “Register Now” for new account; Click "Login" for existing/returning volunteer coach using your saved user and pw
- Write down or save your user login and password for future reference.
- Complete Criminal Background Check (CBC) registration and read/sign each credential
- NEW: Enter your 9 digit ss# (If it only asked for your last 4 digits, you did not assign yourself to volunteer position, Step 2 above.)
- RETURNING: Enter your 9 digit ss# IF it asks you.
- Click “Continue”.
- Complete Athlete Protection (AP)
- Part 1 and Part 2
- You will get this message:
Verify yourself that you are a volunteer coach compliant when you satisfy all four below:
HAVE A QUESTION? CONTACT:
Sports Specialist Director
White Rock Coach Meetings
Coaches meetings are mandatory for all new coaches and optional for returning coaches. All coaches meeting will be held at White Rock YMCA
WR Practice Information
As a volunteer coach you choose the location, day and time your team's practices. Practice times are dependent on which sport and league you coach. We coordinate with the local school districts and area churches to provide practice space. For some of our leagues we are not able to provide practice space due to limited availability. Practices for each sport begins after the coaches meeting.
WR Coach Resources
YMCA Season Schedules/Standings
- Jr NBA Coaching Resources
- Youth basketball league rules