SUMMER LEARNING ACADEMY
YMCA Summer Learning Academies are designed to give students the opportunity to stay on grade level and prevent summer learning loss. Summer learning loss can negatively impact students and cause them to struggle when they return to school in the Fall. Summer Learning Academies help students build confidence and positive relationships. Students have the opportunity to learn and have fun through hands-on activities, experiments, swimming, field trips, and more.
SLAs are five week programs for students entering grades 1 through 5.
The first half of the day is filled with fun academics by District teachers hired by the YMCA. The second half of the day is full of fun enrichment activities for students, led by our YMCA enrichment staff. The academic lessons are aligned with the local school district and developed by a certified teacher from the district.
Our Summer Learning Academy programs consist of the following components:
- Breakfast, lunch and a snack
- Math and Literacy activities
- Pre and Post testing with iStation Math and Reading
- Enrichment Activities- STEM activities, Culinary Arts, Arts and Crafts, CATCH Curriculum, Sanford Harmony-Social Emotional Learning Activities, Imagine Science curriculum, and many other fun activities.
- Safety Around Water program, which teaches basic swimming skills and water safety to prevent drowning.
- Swimming time and field trips
- Parents attend weekly educational workshops.