Democracy Must Be Learned By Each Generation
Youth & Government is a statewide civic education and leadership program in which schools, civic organizations and Ys involve kids in hands-on learning experiences.
YMCA Youth and Government allows middle and high school students to experience the excitement of our state government in action.
Students meet regularly as a club during the fall semester and throughout the year. Each club consists of participating students and an adult sponsor (usually a teacher) and is guided and supported by YMCA staff and volunteers. Students choose to participate in one of four areas: legislative, judicial, media, or state affairs forum.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS YOUTH & GOVERNMENT?
A nation-wide YMCA program in which students learn the mechanics of government and the media by participating in hands-on activities in their club at their school or local YMCA. Texas Youth & Government
HOW DO WE PARTICIPATE IN YG?
- Ask your local YMCA to do a presentation at your school
- Engage a dedicated adult advisor
- Begin a club with your local YMCA
- Prepare, practice and participate!
*Financial Assistance & Income Based Club fees are available
WHY PARTICIPATE IN YG?
YG is a life-changing program.
Students gain the following from YG:
- Leadership and Public Speaking Skills
- Empathy and Diplomacy
- Stronger work ethic
- Value of voting and volunteering
- Organized decision making skills
- New friends and important life-long connections
- A better understanding of the workings of government
For your students, YG also helps enhance academic and UIL performance, as well as already existing clubs such as Media, Debate and World Affairs, Mock Trial and more.