The JER Chilton YMCA at Rockwall offers Angel Camp to the community as a way for unique children to have a camp experience that they otherwise may not be able to have. With an emphasis on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility, Angel Camp creates an environment that allows children to explore and create with the support that their needs require. Angel Camp is designed to accommodate children with special needs, ages 5–18.
This summer program allows kids with differing physical and intellectual handicaps the opportunity to experience typical day camp activities like archery, riflery (BBs), crafts, swimming, canoeing, group games, field trips and more. Participants should be able to change or dress themselves with minimal assistance, and be able to use the restroom on their own.
Campers remain under the close supervision of highly trained staff. Modifications to activities will be made as needed.
Angel Camp runs for 6 one-week sessions, 8AM to 3PM Monday through Friday. We take a maximum of 20 campers for each session. Campers can select two-weeks that they would like to be enrolled in, however enrollment depends on availability and approval through a Director’s meeting. Campers will provide their own lunches every day; we will provide one afternoon snack after swimming.
Registration will open on this first Friday of March each year. A hard copy of this year’s registration packet, will be available at the JER Chilton YMCA at Rockwall and the electronic version can be downloaded here. Sign up is on a first-come, first-served basis. After all sessions are full, names will go on a Wait List and we will call or the parents if there is an opening.
- Pick up or download the 2018 Angel Camp Registration Form.
- After completing ALL paperwork and attaching an updated shot record for the participant, submit ALL paperwork to the front desk of the JER Chilton YMCA at Rockwall with Attention: Melissa Cotner.
- After submitting the completed paperwork, arrange a meeting with the Angel Camp Coordinator/Director by signing up via Signup Genius.
- Meeting Prep: Organize the questions that you might have about the Angel Camp Program and talk to your child about going to a meeting with a new person and place beforehand!
- Please make plans for you and your child to arrive approximately 10 minutes before your meeting time. This is in hopes of keeping the meetings on schedule and can give you a chance to walk your child around the building if you would like.
- The official enrollment of your child in the Angel Camp Program will occur after the parent meeting has been completed. As spots are still open, participants will be enrolled in their 2 weeks as marked, and discussed, on their registration form. After Monday, May 14, 2018, additional week requests will be processed in the order that they were submitted. You will be contacted if your child is approved for additional weeks!
For inquiries, contact:
Melissa Cotner | Angel Camp Coordinator/Director
Bonnie LaVielle | Executive Director