The YMCA's Adapted Swim program is designed as a private lesson specially modified for a person age 4+ and any and water skill who has an intellectual and/or physical disability. Lessons include basic survival skills, instruction on independent flotation, breath control, kicking, basic paddling, front crawl, back crawl, and jumping or diving into the pool. Participants will also receive special attention and instruction that may help develop competency in the water as well as improve overall coordination, speech and language, strength, endurance, range of movement, as well as social and attending behaviors. Because these lessons are already discounted by funding through our Annual Campaign, financial assistance is not available for adaptive private lessons.
Adaptive Private Lessons are offered by appointment only between the months of September and May according to instructor and pool space availability as determined by the Aquatics Department. Each session consists of 4 x 30 minute lessons unless otherwise noted. Continuation at end of session is not guaranteed.
Cost: $40 for Y Members | $80 for Non-Members
To register for the wait list at our Welcome Center. We typically run a 12+ week wait list (sometimes longer in periods of high demand).
Coppell Swimming, a Special Olympics Texas Team
We are a competitive swim team focused on improvement of known skills and team participation. One on one attention may not be available and is not guaranteed.
Adaptive private swim lesson wait-list available at the Welcome Center.
Registration will be open May 15 - June 10 @ Coppell YMCA Welcome Center
Cost: $40 per participant
Registration, payment and current medical release (HERE) due on or before 6/10/17; $15 cancellation fee
Saturdays @ Coppell Family YMCA
- Session 1: 1:30-2:00pm - Athletes in Training (medical release optional)
- Age 4+ with intellectual disability
- Learn to swim program focused on water safety and introduction to group swim setting
- Lesson Dates: 6/10-7/29 (no lesson 6/17 or 7/1)
- No makeup lessons available
- Session 2: 2:15-3:00pm - Older Athletes / Competition Team
- Age 8+ with intellectual disability
- Must be Coppell ISD student or graduate or transfer from another SOTX delegation
- Must be independent or require little assistance in the water
- Must be able to propel themselves forward in the water with or without a float-belt and without instructor assistance
- Practice Dates: 6/10-8/19 (no practice on swim meet days or 6/17 or 7/1)
- No makeup practices available
Parent or adult guardian must be present in the pool area at all times regardless of age of participant.
Swim Meet Information:
Swim meets are not required but are strongly encouraged.
Please email CoppellSOTeams@gmail.com for information on how to become a volunteer.