Through our partnership with Children's Health, we are excited to offer Get Up and Go, a 10-week weight management program for children and their parents. This family-focused program gives families the tools they need to develop and maintain healthy habits.
Each week, our families engage in physical activity, discuss a healthy lifestyle topics like healthy eating and cooking, and set goals with a YMCA-trained staff person. This curriculum was designed by the doctors and Registered Dietitians at Children's Health to address the needs of children who would benefit from understanding how lifestyle choices affect their overall health, now and as they grow into adulthood.
- Who: Children ages 6-14 years old who are referred to the program by a physician. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- What: A free program designed by physicians and registered dietitians, provides hands-on nutrition education along with fun physical activities that get both kids and parents moving.
- Where: Local YMCAs, churches, and recreation centers.
- How Often: 90-minute sessions, once per week for 10 weeks.
If you'd like to sign up for Get Up and Go, please discuss the program with your child's physician for referral; once received, you will be contacted for enrollment.
Get up & Go Locations
- Garland (First Baptist Church)
- Lake Highlands (The New Room)
- Irving Family YMCA
- Coppell Family YMCA
- White Rock Family YMCA
- Moorland Family YMCA/Oak Cliff Family YMCA (Alternates months)
- Grand Prairie Family YMCA
- McKinney Family YMCA
- Plano Family YMCA
- Park South Family YMCA
**Locations are subject to change**
GET UP & GO - IN THE MEDIA
CHILDHOOD OBESITY JOURNAL - The Implementation and Five-Year Evolution of a Childhood Healthy Weight Program: Making a Health Care–Community Partnership Work