FLU AND RESPIRATORY DISEASE SEASON REMINDERS
Dear YMCA Families,
As you have seen in recent news reports, a small number of cases of coronavirus have appeared in the United States from China. Much is still being learned about this new virus, and health officials deem the risk of local transmission in our community, and the general public, to be very low at this time. As always, we are monitoring information to maintain the health and safety of our members, participants and staff.
While there are no reported cases in the North Texas area currently, the CDC has shared general recommendations for the public. Here are several helpful links to information about the coronavirus from local, state, national, and international health organizations:
Dallas County Health and Human Services: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-CoV)
Texas Department of State Health Services: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus | Home
Home World Health Organization: Coronavirus
We will continue to work with our local health officials and monitor this situation, providing you with updates should it become necessary.
As you are aware, especially during our winter months, more common illnesses like the flu and other respiratory illnesses are circulating, and health officials recommend that everyone follow basic prevention guidelines, including:
• Everyone who is six months and older is encouraged to get a flu shot.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when you are sick. Keeping a sick child at home prevents the spread of illness in the school community and allows the child the opportunity to rest and recover. Please refer to our Student-Parent Handbook for our guidelines on health attendance.
• Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Thank you very much for assisting us in keeping a healthy environment at the YMCA!