TAKE ACTION TO IMPROVE HEART HEALTH
One in three American adults has high blood pressure, which puts them at risk for stroke and heart disease, two of the leading causes of death in the U.S. According to the American Heart Association, nearly 80 million adults have high blood pressure in this country. Less than half have it under control.
In response to this critical health issue, YMCA’s Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring program offers personalized support as participants develop the habit of monitoring their blood pressure. Research shows that the process of recording blood pressure at least twice a month over a period of four months can lower blood pressure in many people with high blood pressure.
The Y designed the Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring program to help adults with hypertension lower and manage their blood pressure. The four-month program focuses on regulated home self-monitoring of one’s blood pressure using proper measuring techniques, individualized support and nutrition education for better blood pressure management. With the support from a trained Healthy Heart Ambassador, participants:
• Measure and record their blood pressure at least two times per month
• Attend two personalized consultations per month
• Attend monthly Nutrition Education Seminars
• Reduction in blood pressure
• Better blood pressure management
• Increased awareness of triggers that elevate blood pressure
• Enhanced knowledge to develop healthier eating habits
• Be diagnosed with high blood pressure
• Not have experienced a recent cardiac event
• Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
• Not be at risk for lymphedema
"I feel that this program has helped so many to realize how important having a normal blood pressure is. As a result of my participation in the program, I am making better eating choices and I have lowered my blood pressure drastically. I've been told I may be able to come off my medications as soon as within six weeks if this type of progress continues."
-Participant, Birmingham Metropolitan YMCA
Participation in Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program will result in tremendous health benefits. Please keep your doctor updated regularly about your participation, blood pressure values and any changes you experience to your health.
Schedules and Locations
|J.E.R. Chilton YMCA||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|Lakewest Family YMCA||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|White Rock Family YMCA||TBD||TBD||TBD|