Change Lives Through Coaching!
This opportunity is to develop players in a positive way and become a mentor and leader for your team. Join us and make a difference in your community. Motivate and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health, smart life choices, and the pursuit of higher education and goals. You will be responsible for leading practices, games and communication with your team and the YMCA Sports Director. This is an 10-week commitment, one hour per week for practice and one hour per week for games.
- Coordinate with your team via email/phone calls about practices and locations.
- Attend coaches meeting before the season begins (be an active coach)
- Make sure you contact your team at least 1 week before the 1st practice
- Practice with your team one hour per week, teaching them rules of the game and basics of how to play
- Be a mentor to your kids, teaching them values of sportsmanship, leadership, teamwork and respect
- Attend weekend games for the duration of the season
- Play all kids an equal amount of time each game
- Hand out medals and awards (given out by YMCA) at appropriate time
- Turn a good experience into a great one, not only for the kids, but for the parents as well
- Communicate with the YMCA about issues, concerns, questions in a respectful manner
KEY SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Depending on the age level, one must have basic knowledge of the sport you are coaching or the eagerness to learn more.
- Complete the YMCA volunteer coach registration process, which includes:
- Volunteer Coach Application
- Criminal Background Check
- Completion of 1-hour Volunteer Orientation
- Child Abuse Prevention Training
Sign Me Up! Our Coaches Registration Process
Thank you for your interest in being a coach! We appreciate your time, talent and leadership to help our young people. Below are the details to the process of becoming a coach with the YMCA.
- Step 1: Child Abuse Prevention (CAP) Online Training:
- Step 2: Complete our Volunteer Matters process. All volunteers who interact with our young people must complete this process, which consist of selecting the sport(s) you're volunteering for, submitting a background check annually and completing our Child Abuse Prevention (CAP) video.