Become a Coach at the YMCA!
This opportunity is to develop players in a positive way and become a mentor and leader for your team. Join us and make a difference in your community. Motivate and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health, smart life choices, and the pursuit of higher education and goals. You will be responsible for leading practices, games and communication with your team and the YMCA Sports Director. This is an 8-week commitment, one hour per week for practice and one hour per week for games (typically on Saturdays).
- Coordinate with your team via email/phone calls about practices and locations.
- Attend coaches meeting before the season begins (be an active coach)
- Make sure you contact your team at least 1 week before the 1st practice
- Practice with your team one hour per week, teaching them rules of the game and basics of how to play
- Be a mentor to your kids, teaching them values of sportsmanship, leadership, teamwork and respect
- Attend weekend games for an 8-week season
- Play all kids an equal amount of time each game
- Hand out medals and awards (given out by YMCA) at appropriate time
- Turn a good experience into a great one, not only for the kids, but for the parents as well
- Communicate with the YMCA about issues, concerns, questions in a respectful manner
KEY SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Depending on the age level, one must have basic knowledge of the sport you are coaching or the eagerness to learn more.
- Complete the YMCA volunteer coach registration process, which includes:
- Online Criminal Background Check- CBC (Dallas YMCA Volunteer Matters)
- Child Abuse Prevention Training (CAP)